Important Application Deadlines
- 2021 Spring ASBOG Exam (March 19, 2021): January 25, 2021
- 2021 Fall ASBOG Exam (October 1, 2021): August 6, 2021
Iowa State University collaborates with the National Association of State Boards of Geology (ASBOG) to administer the Fundamentals of Geology (FG) examination to qualified candidates. The FG is the first exam in the process towards becoming a licensed Professional Geologist and emphasizes knowledge and skills that undergraduates typically acquire in the process of obtaining a baccalaureate degree in geology. The FG examination includes questions drawn from eight content domains:
- General and field geology
- Mineralogy, petrology, and geochemistry
- Sedimentology, stratigraphy, and paleontology
- Geomorphology, surficial processes, and Quaternary geology
- Structure, tectonics, and seismology
- Engineering geology
- Economic geology and energy resources
ISU offers the exam twice per year according to the schedule set by ASBOG.
To qualify to take the FG exam you must:
- Have graduated from an accredited college or university with a degree in geology, engineering geology, or a related geological science; or
- Have successfully completed 30 semester hours (45 quarter hours) of courses in physical and historical geology, mineralogy, structural geology, igneous and metamorphic petrology, stratigraphy and sedimentation, field geology, hydrogeology, economic geology, geochemistry, paleontology, environmental geology, engineering geology, geomorphology, or geophysics, or their equivalent as determined by ISU.
- Currently enrolled students may provide unofficial transcripts and the contact of an active professor in their department.
- Graduates must provide an official transcript documenting their undergraduate degree in geology, engineering geology, or a related geological science from an accredited college or university.
Approved applicants will receive authorization and instructions on how to register for the FG examination and pay the $200.00 FG Exam Registration Fee to ASBOG.
Please direct any questions to Dr. Kristie Franz (firstname.lastname@example.org), 515-294-1837