|Dept:||Geological And Atmospheric Sciences|
|Office:||3101 Agronomy |
716 Farm House Ln
BioAbout Mr. Flory
Mr. Flory is a senior lecturer in the Department of Geological and Atmospheric Sciences at Iowa State University. He teaches a variety of classes from the freshmen to senior level. He also serves as the department advising coordinator; co-coordinator for the Earth, Wind and Fire learning community; co-adviser for the student chapter of the American Meteorological Society; meteorology program technical contact/coordinator; and is responsible for the advising of ~20 undergraduate students.
Outside of the classroom, Mr. Flory specializes in computational meteorology and the creation, management, and data mining of large data sets. He has worked on a variety of research projects from climate modelling to numerical weather prediction. He has experience with a number of atmospheric models (most recently WRF and MM5) and has implemented these models on numerous platforms from single PC's and linux clusters to massively-parallel architectures.
Specialties: Computational meteorology, climate modeling, computer programming (FORTRAN, Python, C++, MPI, OpenMP), data analysis and visualization, teaching, system support in Linux and Windows.
- Synoptic discussion (Mteor 111, Freshmen level, 1 credit)
- Geoscience Orientation (Mteor 112, Freshmen level, 1 credit)
- Introductory Seminar (Mteor 201, Sophomore level, R credit)
- Computational Meteorology (Mteor 227, Sophomore level, 3 credit)
- General Meteorology (Mteor 301, Sophomore level, 4 credit)
- Introduction to Synoptic Meteorology (Mteor 311, Junior level, 2 credit)
- Instrumentation and Measurement (lab) (Mteor 432, Senior level, 3 credit (1 credit lab))
Honors and Awards
- 09/2017 - Outstanding Achievement in Teaching award, Iowa State University: recognizes faculty members for outstanding teaching performance over an extended period of time.
- 09/2017 - Louis Thompson Distinguished Undergraduate Teaching award, Iowa State University: special designation recognizing an outstanding teacher who is dedicated to helping undergraduate students.
- 09/2015 - Outstanding Teaching by a Lecturer Award, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Iowa State University.
- 05/2015 - Learning Community Scholarship Award, Iowa State Learning Communities, Iowa State University.
- 09/2014 - Learning Community Leadership Award, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Iowa State University.
- 05/2014 - Learning Community Champion Award, Iowa State Learning Communities, Iowa State University.
- 09/2009 - Outstanding Teaching by a Lecturer Award, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Iowa State University.
- 05/1995 - University Teaching Excellence Award, Iowa State University.
- 05/1994 - Teaching Excellence Award, Department of Physics, Iowa State University.