|Dept:||Geological And Atmospheric Sciences|
|Office:||3101 Agronomy |
716 Farm House Ln.
BioAbout Mr. Flory
Mr. Flory is aTeaching Professor in the Department of Geological and Atmospheric Sciences at Iowa State University. He teaches a variety of classes from the freshmen to the senior level. He also serves as the department advising coordinator; co-coordinator for the Earth, Wind & Fire learning community; co-adviser for the student chapter of the American Meteorological Society; meteorology program technical contact/coordinator; and is responsible for the advising of ~20 undergraduate students.
Outside of the classroom, Mr. Flory specializes in computational meteorology and the creation, management, and data mining of large data sets. He has worked on a variety of research projects, from climate modeling to numerical weather prediction. He has experience with several atmospheric models (most recently WRF and MM5) and has implemented these models on numerous platforms from single PC's and Linux clusters to massively-parallel architectures.
Specialties: Computational meteorology, climate modeling, computer programming (FORTRAN, Python, C++, MPI, OpenMP), data analysis and visualization, teaching, system support in Linux and Windows.
- Synoptic discussion (Mteor 111, Freshmen level, 1 credit)
- Geoscience Orientation (Mteor 112, Freshmen level, 1 credit)
- Introductory Seminar (Mteor 201, Sophomore level, R credit)
- Computational Meteorology (Mteor 227, Sophomore level, 3 credit)
- General Meteorology (Mteor 301, Sophomore level, 4 credit)
- Introduction to Synoptic Meteorology (Mteor 311, Junior level, 2 credit)
- Instrumentation and Measurement (lab) (Mteor 432, Senior level, 3 credit (1 credit lab))
Honors and Awards
- 09/2017 - Outstanding Achievement in Teaching award, Iowa State University: recognizes faculty members for outstanding teaching performance over an extended period of time.
- 09/2017 - Louis Thompson Distinguished Undergraduate Teaching award, Iowa State University: special designation recognizing an outstanding teacher who is dedicated to helping undergraduate students.
- 09/2015 - Outstanding Teaching by a Lecturer Award, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Iowa State University.
- 05/2015 - Learning Community Scholarship Award, Iowa State Learning Communities, Iowa State University.
- 09/2014 - Learning Community Leadership Award, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Iowa State University.
- 05/2014 - Learning Community Champion Award, Iowa State Learning Communities, Iowa State University.
- 09/2009 - Outstanding Teaching by a Lecturer Award, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Iowa State University.
- 05/1995 - University Teaching Excellence Award, Iowa State University.
- 05/1994 - Teaching Excellence Award, Department of Physics, Iowa State University.