The Department of Geological and Atmospheric Sciences has formed a new committee dedicated to enhancing DEI efforts in our department and its degree programs. The new committee consists of faculty from both Meteorology and Geology programs and is currently identifying both undergraduate majors and GEAT graduate students to serve as student DEI representatives and assist in this important work.
The DEI committee will be responsible for:
- Identifying and disseminating information on best practices for fostering inclusiveness and increasing diversity among GEAT students, faculty, and staff;
- Guiding departmental adherence to University DEI policies;
- Working with the GEAT curriculum committees to identify and address potential curricular barriers to improving DEI;
- Providing a means for grievances and other sensitive DEI issues to be addressed or properly escalated to higher ISU administrative units;
- Recognizing and promoting the efforts of GEAT students, faculty, and staff in enhancing DEI within the department and elsewhere at ISU; and
- Maintaining a record of their activities and goals for the upcoming year, updated at least annually, and available to all departmental members on the website.