- NSF, co-PI, A Framework for Assessing the Impact of Extreme Heat and Drought on Urban Energy Production and Consumption
Iowa Energy Center, PI, Developing a Landscape of Building Energy Use for the City of Des Moines, Iowa
- NASA, co-PI, Ecosystem and Human System Dynamics: Indicators of Phenology, Climate, and Urbanization
- NASA, co-PI, Atmospheric Composition: Modeling and Analysis, Improved Information on Recent Aerosol Emissions and Trends Within A Community Emissions Data System Using Satellite Data
- DOE, PI, Improving GCAM Building Energy Use Modeling by Adding a Satellite-seeded Spatially Explicit Urban Expansion Component, PI
- NASA, PI, Land-Cover/Land-Use Change for Early Career Scientists, Understanding and Simulating Global Urban Expansion in the Context of Climate Change
Google Scholar Profile
Recent Publications (*Corresponding Author)
- Li X, Zhou Y *, Asrar GR, Meng L. 2017. Characterizing spatiotemporal dynamics in phenology of urban ecosystems based on Landsat data. Science of The Total Environment. 605:721-34.
- Li X, Zhou Y *, Asrar GR, Imhoff M, Li X. 2017. The surface urban heat island response to urban expansion: A panel analysis for the conterminous United States. Science of The Total Environment. 605:426-35.
- Li X, Zhou Y *, Asrar GR, Mao J, Li X, Li W. 2017. Response of vegetation phenology to urbanization in the conterminous United States. Global change biology. 23(7):2818-30.
- Lu X, Zhou Y *, Liu Y, Yannick LP. 2017. The role of protected areas in land use/land cover change and the carbon cycle in the conterminous United States. Global Change Biology. DOI: 10.1111/gcb.13816.
- Li X, Zhou Y *. 2017. A Stepwise Calibration of Global DMSP/OLS Stable Nighttime Light Data (1992–2013). Remote Sensing. 9(6):637.
- Li X, Zhou Y *. 2017. Urban mapping using DMSP/OLS stable night-time light: a review. International Journal of Remote Sensing. 38(21):6030-46.
- Güneralp B, Zhou Y, Ürge-Vorsatz D, Gupta M, Yu S, Patel PL, Fragkias M, Li X, Seto KC. 2017. Global scenarios of urban density and its impacts on building energy use through 2050. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 114(34):8945-50.
- Alberti M, Correa C, Marzluff JM, Hendry AP, Palkovacs EP, Gotanda KM, Hunt VM, Apgar TM, Zhou Y. 2017. Global urban signatures of phenotypic change in animal and plant populations. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 114(34):8951-6.
- Hejazi MI, Voisin N, Liu L, Bramer LM, Fortin DC, Hathaway JE, Huang M, Kyle P, Leung LR, Li H-Y, Liu Y, Patel PL, Pulsipher TC, Rice JS, Tesfa TK, Vernon CR, Zhou Y. 2015. 21st century United States emissions mitigation could increase water stress more than the climate change it is mitigating. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 112(34):10635-40.
- Zhou Y, Hejazi M, Smith SJ, Edmonds JA, Li H-Y, Clarke L, Calvin K, Thomson A. 2015. A Comprehensive View of Global Potential for Hydro-generated Electricity. Energy & Environmental Science. 8:2622-33.
- Zhou Y, Smith SJ, Zhao K, Imhoff M, Thomson A, Bond-Lamberty B, Asrar GR, Zhang X, He C, Elvidge CD. 2015. A global map of urban extent from nightlights. Environmental Research Letters. 10(5):054011.
- Zhao N, Zhou Y *, Samson EL. 2015. Correcting Incompatible DN Values and Geometric Errors in Nighttime Lights Time-Series Images. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing. 53(4):2039 – 49.
- Zhou Y, Smith SJ, Elvidge CD, Zhao K, Thomson A, Imhoff M. 2014. A cluster-based method to map urban area from DMSP/OLS nightlights. Remote Sensing of Environment. 147:173-85.
- Zhou Y, Wang Y, Gold A, August P, Boving T. 2014. Assessing impact of urban impervious surface on watershed hydrology using distributed object-oriented simulation and spatial regression. Geojournal. 79(2):155-66.
- Zhou Y, Clarke L, Eom J, al e. 2014. Modeling the effect of climate change on U.S. state-level buildings energy demands in an integrated assessment framework. Applied Energy. 113:1077-88.
- Zhou Y, Smith S. 2013. Spatial and temporal patterns of global onshore wind speed distribution. Environmental Research Letters. 8(3):034029.
- Zhou Y, Eom J, Clarke L. 2013. The effect of global climate change, population distribution, and climate mitigation on building energy use in the US and China. Climatic Change. 119(3－4):979-92.
- Zhou Y, Luckow P, Smith S, Clarke L. 2012. Evaluation of Global Onshore Wind Energy Potential and Generation Costs. Environmental Science and Technology. 46(14):7857–64.
- Zhou Y, Weng Q, Gurney KR, Shuai Y, Hu X. 2012. Estimation of the relationship between remotely sensed anthropogenic heat discharge and building energy use. ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing. 67:65-72.