|Dept:||Geological And Atmospheric Sciences|
|Office:||253 Science |
2237 Osborn Dr
B.S. (with Honors) University of Adelaide, 1977
M.S. University of Adelaide, 1979
Ph.D. University of Toronto, 1984
Dr. Spry's research interests are in economic geology, mineralogy and petrology, and the geochemistry of metallic mineral deposits. He is particularly interested in the petrological, mineralogical, structural, geochronological (Re-Os), light (S, C, O and H) and heavy (Te) stable isotope, and fluid inclusion characteristics of epithermal and mesothermal gold deposits, as well as the effects of metamorphism on massive sulfide deposits. Current research projects include: the origin of metamorphosed Proterozoic base metal-gold deposits (Colorado); stable tellurium isotopes of tellurides in gold-silver telluride deposits; the origin of gold telluride deposits in Greece; the use of trace elements in oxides, silicates, and sulfides as exploration guides to metamorphosed Cu-Pb-Zn-Ag ores in the Kanmantoo Group, South Australia and the Stollberg Pb-Zn-Ag ore field, Sweden; the origin of nodular sillimanite rocks and their genetic relationship to metamorphosed massive sulfide deposits; and the crystallographic characterization of precious metal sulfides and sulfosalts (see new sulfosalt “Spryite” named after Spry).
- Trace element chemistry of common silicates (garnet, biotite, staurolite, chlorite), oxides (gahnite, magnetite), and sulfides (pyrite, pyrrhotite, chalcopyrite, and sphalerite) as guides in the exploration for metamorphosed massive sulfide deposits in the the Bergslagen district (Sweden) and the Kanmantoo Group, South Australia
- The mineralogy and geochemistry (fluid inclusions and stable isotopes) of epithermal and mesothermal gold deposits and porphyry style copper and/or molybdenum deposits, Greece (with Panos Voudouris, University of Athens; Vasilios Melfos, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki)
- Mineralogy and crystallography of sulfides, sulfosalts, and tellurides (with Luca Bindi, University of Florence)
- Stable tellurium isotopes (with Edwin Shauble, UCLA; Simon Jackson, Geological Survey of Canada; Ryan Mathur, Juniata College)
Google Scholar Profile
- Geol 105 - Gems and Gemstones
- Geol 316 - Optical Mineralogy
- Geol 365 - Igneous and Metamorphic Petrology
- Geol 420/520 - Mineral Resources
- Geol 507 - Midwestern Geology Field Trip
Recent Refereed Publications
Pollock, M.V., Spry, P.G., Tott, K.A., Koenig, A., Both, R.A., and Ogierman, J.A., 2018, The origin of the sediment-hosted Kanmantoo Cu-Au deposit, South Australia: Mineralogical considerations. Ore Geology Reviews, v. 95, p. 94-117.
Jansson, N.F., Sädbom, S., Allen, R.L., Billström, K., and Spry, P.G., 2018, The Lovisa stratiform Zn-Pb deposit, Bergslagen, Sweden – Structure, stratigraphy and ore genesis: Economic Geology, v. 113, p. 699-739.
Galanopoulos, E., Voudouris, P., Mavrogonatos, C., Spry, P.G., Hart, C., Melfos, V., Zaccarini, F., and Alfieris, D., 2018, Geology and mineralogy of the newly-discovered porphyry Mo mineralization at Aisymi-Leptokarya, southeastern Rhodope, NE Greece. Geosciences, v. 8 (435); doi:10.3390/geosciences8120435.
Voudouris, P., Mavrogonatos, C., Rieck, B., Kolitsch, U., Scheffer, C., Tarantola, A., Spry, P.G., Galanos, E., Melfos, V., Zaimis, S., Soukis, K., and Galanopoulos, E., 2018, The gersdorffite-bismuthinite-native gold association and a new skarn-porphyry style mineralization at Kamariza mining district, Lavrion, Greece. Minerals, v. 8 (531); doi:10.3390/min1810531.
Mavrogonatos, C., Voudouris, P., Spry, P.G., Melfos, V., Klemme, S., Berndt, J., Bakerm T., Moritz, R., Bissig, T., Monecke, T., Zaccarini, F., Galanopoulos, E., and Kanellopoulos, C., 2018, Mineralogical study of advanced-argillic alteration assemblages from the Konos Hill Mo-Re-Cu-Au porphyry system, NE Greece. Minerals, v. 8 (479), 1-18; doi:10.3390/min8110479
Saintilan, N.J., Creaser, R.A., and Spry, P.G., 2017, Re-Os systematics of löllingite and arsenopyrite in granulite facies garnet rocks: Insights into the thermal evolution of the Broken Hill block during the Early Mesoproterozoic (New South Wales, Australia), Canadian Mineralogist, in press.
Fornadel, A.P., Spry, P.G., Schauble, E.A., Hagneghadar, M.A., Jackson. S.E., and Mills, S.J., 2017, Theoretical and measured stable Te isotope fractionation in tellurium-bearing minerals in precious metal hydrothermal ore deposits. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, v. 202, p. 215-230.
Kelley, K.D., and Spry, P.G., 2016, Critical metals associated with alkaline-rock related epithermal gold deposits. Reviews in Economic Geology, v. 18, p. 195-216.Full Publication List