General Requirements for Admission
- A bachelor’s or master’s degree in atmospheric science, meteorology, physics, mathematics, computer science, or engineering.
- A class rank placing you in the upper 25%.
Potential applicants should also review the Graduate Student Handbook and the requirements for the meteorology undergraduate (BS) degree in the ISU Catalog to determine if qualifications for graduate school are satisfied.
Applicants from China, India, and Taiwan
Because of the large number of applications received from China, India, and Taiwan, specific minimum guidelines for applicants from those countries are given below:
- China: A 4-year bachelor’s degree with a cumulative grade point average of 80% or higher.
- India: A 4-year bachelor’s degree or a master’s degree with a First Division degree classification.
- Taiwan: A 4-year bachelor’s degree with a cumulative grade average of 75% or higher or 3.0 based on the 4.0 scale.
Applicants can apply directly online at the Graduate College website.
Submit the application materials online:
- Online application
- Official GRE test results
- Official TOEFL test results (English proficiency scores required by the Graduate College are 550 (PBT), 79 (iBT), IELTS (6.5)
- Official academic transcripts
- Application fee
- Online – 3 letters of recommendation (2 of the 3 letters should be from persons in your major field
- Upload additional documents: Resume, list of courses not on official transcripts
NOTE: Your application will not be reviewed without a TOEFL score.
Meteorology Graduate Office
1126L Agronomy Hall
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011-1010
Applications will be routed among the Meteorology faculty for review and consideration annually in February after all required application materials have been received. Evaluations for admission and assistantships are made within the department.
Individual faculty members in the department who are responsible for a grant or a contract can offer assistantships. Such assistantship offers to entering students tend to be quite limited and are made only after a faculty member has agreed to serve as the applicant’s major professor.