Dr. Gutowski’s research concentrates on the role of atmospheric dynamics in climate. Central focuses are the dynamics of the hydrologic cycle and regional climate. Because processes on a wide range of spatial and temporal scales are important for both of these, his research program entails a variety of modeling and data analysis approaches. His work includes regional modeling of North American, African, Arctic and East Asian climates and has significant collaboration with scientists in these regions.
Google Scholar Profile
Geol/Ensci/Mteor/Nrem 402/502 – Watershed Hydrology.
Examination of watersheds as systems, emphasizing the surface components of the hydrologic cycle. Combines qualitative understanding of hydrological processes and uncertainty with quantitative representation. Laboratory emphasizes field investigation and measurement of watershed processes.
Mteor 452/552 – Climate Modeling.
Developing and working with climate models based on fundamental physical principles that govern the climate systems of the Earth and other planets. Emphasis on coupled, nonlinear-system interactions of physical processes such as circulation dynamics, radiative transfer, and cloud/precipitation physics, starting with fairly simple 0- and 1-dimensional analytical and numerical models based on energy, mass, and momentum conservation. Observational study of seasonally evolving weather patterns that form climates around the world.
Mteor 454 – Dynamic Meteorology II
Planetary boundary layer, linear perturbation theory, atmospheric wave motions, baroclinic and convective instability, mesoscale circulations.
Selected Refereed Reports
- Doblas-Reyes, F. J., A. A. Sörensson, M. Almazroui, A. Dosio, W. J. Gutowski, R. Haarsma, R. Hamdi, B. Hewitson, W-T. Kwon, B. L. Lamptey, D. Maraun, T. S. Stephenson, I. Takayabu, L. Terray, A. Turner, Z. Zuo, 2021, Linking Global to Regional Climate Change. In: Climate Change 2021: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Sixth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change [Masson-Delmotte, V., P. Zhai, A. Pirani, S. L. Connors, C. Péan, S. Berger, N. Caud, Y. Chen, L.
- Goldfarb, M. I. Gomis, M. Huang, K. Leitzell, E. Lonnoy, J.B.R. Matthews, T. K. Maycock, T. Waterfield, O. Yelekçi, R. Yu and B. Zhou (eds.)]. Cambridge University Press.
- Collins, M., R. Knutti, J. M. Arblaster, J.-L. Dufresne, T. Fichefet, P. Friedlingstein, X. Gao, W. J. Gutowski, T. Johns, G. Krinner, M. Shongwe, C. Tebaldi, A. J. Weaver, M. Wehner, 2014: Long-term Climate Change: Projections, Commitments and Irreversibility. In: Climate Change 2013: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fifth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. [Stocker, T. F., D. Qin, G.-K. Plattner, M. M.B. Tignor, S. K. Allen, J. Boschung , A. Nauels, Y. Xia, V. Bex, P. M. Midgley (eds).] Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom and New York, NY, USA.
- Hornberger, G. M., E. Bernhardt, W. E. Dietrich, D. Entekhabi, G. E. Fogg, E. Foufoula-Georgiou, W. J. Gutowski, W. B. Lyons, K. W. Potter, S. W. Tyler, H. J. Vaux, C. J. Vorosmarty, C. Welty, C. A. Woodhouse, C. Zheng, 2012: Challenges and Opportunities in the Hydrologic Sciences, Water Science and Technology Board, National Academy of Sciences, Washington, DC, 173 pp.
- Schwartz, H. G., A. C. Clark, G. E. Dickey, G. C. Eads, R. E. Gallamore, G. Giuliano, W. J. Gutowski, R. H. Iwasaki, K. H. Jacob, T. R. Karl, R. J. Lempert, L. Paiewonsky, S. G. H. Philander, C. R. Zeppie, 2008: The Potential Impacts of Climate Change on U.S. Transportation, Transportation Research Board Special Report 290, National Academy of Sciences, Washington, DC, 218 pp.
Selected Refereed Publications
- Dziubanski, D., K.J. Franz and W. Gutowski, 2020: Linking economic and social factors to peak flows in an agricultural watershed using socio-hydrologic modeling. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 24, 2873–2894, [DOI: 10.5194/hess-24-2873-2020] (hess-2019-484)
- Gutowski, W. J., A. Hall, R. Leung, T. O’Brien, C. Patricola, P. Ullrich, R. W. Arritt, M. Bukovsky, K. V. Calvin, Z. Feng, A. D. Jones, G. J. Kooperman, E. Monier, M. S. Pritchard, S. Pryor, Y. Qian, A. M. Rhoades, A. F. Roberts, K. Sakaguchi, N. Urban, C. Zarzycki, 2020: The ongoing need for high-resolution regional climate models: Process understanding and stakeholder information. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society. (online) [DOI: 10.1175/BAMS-D-19-0113.1] Supplemental material: [DOI: 10.1175/BAMS-D-19-0113.2]
- Gutowski, W.J., and F. Giorgi, 2020: Coordination of regional downscaling. Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Climate Science, Oxford University Press [DOI: 10.1093/acrefore/9780190228620.013.658].
- Takle, E. S, and W. J. Gutowski, 2020: Iowa’s Agriculture Faces a Goldilocks Climate. Physics Today, 73, 2, 26-33 [DOI: 10.1063/PT.3.4407].
- Abatan, A. A. (g), B. J. Abiodun, E. A. Adefisan and W. J. Gutowski, 2019: Hot days and tropical nights in Nigeria: trends and associated large-scale features. Theoretical and Applied Climatology, 137, 2077-2093 [DOI: 10.1007/s00704-018-2713-0].
- Barlow, M., W. J. Gutowski Jr., J. R. Gyakum, R. W. Katz, Y.-K. Lim, R. S. Schumacher, M. F. Wehner, L. Agel, M. Bosilovich, A. Collow, A. Gershunov, R. Grotjahn, R. Leung, S. Milrad and S.-K. Min, 2019: North American extreme precipitation events and related Large-Scale Meteorological Patterns: A review of statistical methods, dynamics, modeling, and trends. Climate Dynamics [DOI: 0.1007/s00382-019-04958-z]
- Glisan, J. M. (p), R. Jones, C. Lennard, N. I. Castillo Pérez, P. Lucas-Picher, A. Rinke, S. Solman and W. J. Gutowski, Jr., 2019: A Metrics-Based Analysis of Seasonal Daily Precipitation and Near-Surface Temperature within Seven CORDEX Domains. Atmospheric Science Letters, Article ASL897 (online). [DOI: 10.1002/asl.897]
- Smalley, K. M. (u), J. M. Glisan (p) and W. J. Gutowski, Jr., 2019: Alaska Daily Extreme Precipitation Processes in a Subset of CMIP5 Global Climate Models. Journal of Geophysical Research – Atmospheres, 124, 1–17 [DOI: 10.1029/2018JD028643].
- Abatan, A. A. (g), W. J. Gutowski, Jr., C. M. Ammann, L. Kaatz, B. G. Brown, L. Buja, R. Bullock, T. Fowler, E. Gilleland and J. H. Gotway, 2018: Statistics of multi-year droughts from the method for object-based diagnostic evaluation. International Journal of Climatology, 38, 3405-3420 [DOI: 10.1002/joc.5512].
- Agel, L., M. Barlow, S. B. Feldstein, W. J. Gutowski, Jr., 2018: Identification of Large-Scale Meteorological Patterns Associated with Extreme Precipitation in the US Northeast. Climate Dynamics, 50, 1819-1839 [DOI: 10.1007/s00382-017-3724-8].
- Kawazoe, S.(g), and W. J. Gutowski, 2018: Evaluation of regional very heavy precipitation events during the summer season using NARCCAP contemporary simulations. International Journal of Climatology, 38, E832-E846 [DOI: 10.1002/joc.5412].
- Niu, X., S. Wang, J. Tang, D.-K. Lee, W. Gutowski, K. Dairaku, J. McGregor, J. Katzfey, X. Gao, J. Wu, S.-Y. Hong, Y. Wang, H. Sasaki and C. Fu, 2018: Ensemble evaluation and projection of climate extremes in China by RMIP models. International Journal of Climate, 38, 2039-2055 [DOI: 10.1002/joc.5315].
- Abatan, A. A. (g), W. J. Gutowski, Jr., C. M. Ammann, L. Kaatz, B. G. Brown, L. Buja, R. Bullock, T. Fowler, E. Gilleland and J. H. Gotway, 2017: Multiyear Droughts and Pluvials over the Upper Colorado River Basin and Associated Circulations. Journal of Hydrometeorology [DOI: 10.1175/JHM-D-16-0125.1].
- Cassano, E. N., J. J. Cassano, M. W. Seefeldt, W. J. Gutowski, Jr. and J. M. Glisan (p), 2017: Synoptic Conditions During Summertime Temperature Extremes in Alaska. International Journal of Climatology, 37, 3694-3713 [DOI:10.1002/joc.4949].
- Lake, I., W. Gutowski, F. Giorgi and B. Lee, 2017: CORDEX climate research and information for regions. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, 98, ES189-ES192 [DOI: 10.1175/BAMS-D-17-0042.1].
- Gutowski, W. J., F. Giorgi, B. Timbal, A. Frigon, D. Jacob, H.-S. Kang, R. Krishnan, B. Lee, C. Lennard, G. Nikulin, E. O’Rourke, M. Rixen, S. Solman, T. Stephenson and F. Tangang, 2016: WCRP Coordinated Regional Downscaling Experiment (CORDEX): A Diagnostic MIP for CMIP6. Geoscientific Model Development. (online) [DOI: 10.5194/ gmd-9-4087-2016].
- Tesfatsion, L., Y. Jie, C. R. Rehmann, W. J. Gutowski, 2016: WACCShed: A platform for the study of watersheds as dynamic coupled natural and human systems. Environmental Modelling & Software (in press).
- Glisan, J. M., W. J. Gutowski, J. J. Cassano , E. N. Cassano and M. W. Seefeldt, 2016: Analysis of WRF Extreme Daily Precipitation over Alaska using Self Organizing Maps. Journal of Geophysical Research – Atmospheres, 121, 7746-7761 [DOI: 10.1002/2016JD024822].
- Klutse, N. A. B., B. J. Abiodun, B. C. Hewitson, W. J. Gutowski and M. A. Tadross, 2016: Evaluation of two GCMs in Simulating Rainfall Inter-annual variability over Southern Africa. Theoretical and Applied Climatology, 123, 415-436 [DOI: 10.1007/s00704-014-1356-z].
- Cassano, J. J., E. N. Cassano, M. W. Seefeldt, W. J. Gutowski and J. M. Glisan (p), 2015: Synoptic Conditions During Wintertime Temperature Extremes in Alaska. Journal of Geophysical Research – Atmospheres, 120, 3241–3262 [DOI:10.1002/2015JD024404].
- Abatan, A. A., B. J. Abiodun, K. A. Lawal and W. J. Gutowski, 2015: Spatio-temporal distribution of trends in extreme temperature indexes over Nigeria: Percentile-based threshold indices. International Journal of Climatology (Online: Dec. 2015), 14 pages [DOI: 10.1002/joc.4510].
- Tang, J., Q. Li, S. Wang, D.-K. Lee, P. Hui, X. Niu,W. Gutowski, K. Dairaku, J. McGregor, J. Katzfey, X. Gao, J. Li, S. Hong, Y. Wang and H. Sasaki, 2015: Building Asian Climate Change Scenario by Multi-Regional Climate Models Ensemble. Part I: Surface Air Temperature. International Journal of Climatology (online) [DOI: 10.1002/joc.4628].
- Cassano, E. N., J. M. Glisan, J. J. Cassano, W. J. Gutowski, Jr., M. W. Seefeldt, 2015: Methodology of using the self-organizing map algorithm to characterize and analyze widespread temperature extremes in Alaska and Canada. Climate Research, 62, 199–218 [DOI: 10.3354/cr01274].
- Giorgi, F., and W. J. Gutowski, 2015: Regional dynamical downscaling and the CORDEX initiative. Annual Review of Environment and Resources, 40, 467-490 [DOI: 10.1146/annurev-environ-102014-021217].
- Grotjahn, R., R. Black, R. Leung, M. F. Wehner, M. Barlow, M. Bosilovich, A. Gershunov, W. J. Gutowski, J. R. Gyakum, R. W. Katz, Y.-Y. Lee, Y-K. Lim, Prabhat, 2015: North American Extreme Temperature Events and Related Large Scale Meteorological Patterns: Statistical Methods, Dynamics, Modeling, and Trends. Climate Dynamics, 34 pp. (Online: May 2015) [DOI: 10.1007/s00382-015-2638-6].
- Steinweg, C., and W. J. Gutowski, 2015: Projected Changes in Greater St. Louis Summer Heat Stress in NARCCAP Simulations. Weather, Climate and Society, 7, 159-168.
g = Graduate Student Coauthor; p = Postdoctoral Coauthor