Students interested in Professional Geologist licensure can learn more about the process at the National Association of State Boards of Geology (ASBOG) website.
The Fundamental of Geology exam is the first step in the process towards becoming a licensed professional geologist and emphasizes knowledge and skills that undergraduates typically acquire in the process of obtaining a baccalaureate degree in geology. The FG examination includes questions drawn from eight content domains:
- General and field geology
- Mineralogy, petrology, and geochemistry
- Sedimentology, stratigraphy, and paleontology
- Geomorphology, surficial processes, and Quaternary geology
- Structure, tectonics, and seismology
- Engineering geology
- Economic geology and energy resources
You can learn more about requirements and exam schedules at this FAQ page.